Sunday, May 19, 2013

What Will 47 Bring?

This time last year I was basking in the knowledge that I had done something new and challenging that day.  I had run a 5K.  I had run the whole way.  I had finished, and not in last place.   That day, I opened doors of which I was, and still am in a sense, totally unaware.  I was pumped up and not long after laid out that I would also run a half marathon in October 2012.

OK, that part didn't happen.  I managed to find any number of excuses  -  too hot, too humid, etc.  But I did run 3 more 5K races before the new year.  Each time I bettered myself and tried harder than before.  I almost reached my goal time of finishing in 30 minutes.

Then winter set in.   Billy bought me a treadmill so I could keep running and not have to do it in the cold and dark.  Busy season - long hours and it was tough to even stay awake night, much less train with any regularity, but I kept trying to do what I could do.

So, let me tell you about my April, 2012.  I went through one of those opened doors.  I decided in March to participate in our local Belles on Bikes event.  Cycling.  Hadn't done that in a long time, other than just to work and back, or to pick up the newspaper on Sunday mornings.  The event had four distances - 16, 30, 52 and 60 miles.  I only did the 16 miles, but I was so proud of myself!  I was only able to train on Sundays since we were still working weekends and I pushed myself and finished with a very respectable time.

Two weeks later, I ran another 5K.  First of the season.  I posted a decent time.  Not my best, but not bad considering the timing.

So, thinking I had two legs of  a triathlon, I decided to try one of those.  Now, having learned my lesson last year of speaking with no follow up, I know I have to pay my registration and make it real. Not just a dream.  If I pay for something, I will do it.  Don't want to look back next year and see that I had, once again, tossed out a declarative without giving it a whirl.

So, July 27, LSU campus, women only.  Swim 350 meters, bike 12 miles and then run 2.  The only fly in my ointment right now is finding a training place to swim, but I'm working on it.  

Also in the works, December 12, half marathon, Jackson.  I usually work in Jackson that week so maybe all I have to do is spend one more night to make that one happen.  Still looking for one that is sooner, just to keep to pushing myself.

Now, my really good news from all of this is my cholesterol finally dropped below 200 - without medication.  I had tried it for a while but stopped taking it.  My last test showed 194.  I was pretty darn proud of that number, too!  

So, ready to step through two doors this year.  Pushing myself and trying new things.  Who knows what else is out there?  I just know I need to get these things off my list before I hit 50. 

No comments: